Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Click to know me!




Hi, I am Roy.  I'm from Yunlin, and my grandmother's home is in Pingtung. I had my bachelor's and master's degrees in Hsinchu, and I enrolled in substitute military service in I-lan till this Aug.  I'm now working for a tech-company in Chunghe, New Taipei City and will be staying here for at least 3 years...hopefully. Since relocating is nothing new to me, I'm familiar with southern, western and eastern Taiwan, but still barely know the 2 biggest capital cities of Taiwan. I guess I'll have a lot of time to get to know these places.
My  hobbies are jogging, mountain climbing, cycling, and many other outdoor activities. One thing that bothers me recently was the crowded environment in Taipei. 3 weeks ago, I was in  rather slow-paced I-lan city, and now I am located in one of the densely populated place in the world. I prefer to exercise in a open area. So a few days ago, I tried to explore a natural  place to jog, e.g., riversides and mountain trails, but the efforts were in vain. :(   I once went to the track and field of 錦和 park and found 3 times more crowded than any other parks I have seen....Anyway, I'll keep looking for a suitable place to exercise.
Since this is a English writing group, I would like to share my experience of learning English. I had participated in many English related extracurricular activities, such as joining King Car Educational Foundations and being as a camp leader and a teaching assistant. The responsibilities included coordinating camp affairs with volunteers and American teachers and designing teaching plans. In addition, I was also a teaching assistant of TOP English Camp, which holds summer and winter camps in high schools in Taiwan. The most challenging part of the job was to pretend myself as a foreigner and deceive all the participants by speaking only English during the camp.
Although I work for an international company, but I still lack of the chances to practice English writing and speaking. I'm really glad to join this group and to grow with others!!

6 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you!
    I had thought that working in a international company have to speak in English.
    The English Camp sounds cool. If I have to time, I would like to participate in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretended myself as a Japanese. I was quite successful in the beginning until I met a student whose parent was a Japanese and she even tried to introduce herself in Japanese to me!!! I was trying to introduce myself in Japanese but my Japanese was so lame... Fortunately, I came up with a bbbbbbrilliant idea in 3 secs: my dad was a French and my mom was a Japanese, and they only communicated by English!! It was the closest moment that my perfect lie got nailed, and thank God that nobody speaks French there. :P

      Delete
  2. Glad to meet you~
    Your experience sounds very interesting.
    The English camp catches my eyes very much, I would like to be a volunteer in it and improve my English speaking skill~

    There is a beautiful city park in Zhonghe, National Taiwan Library, do you know?
    It'a a nice place for jogging and you can also take a rest in the library when it's hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it!! You need to pass interview both in English and Chinese at the first stage, but relax, it wasn't that hard. If you're interested, feel free to ask me in detail by email!
      Do you mean 四號公園? I went there last weekend and found the library really appealing!! I've apply for the library card and hopefully, I could take full advantage of it in the future. As to exercising there... it was too crowded as well. I'll try to find somewhere better in...perhaps 圓通寺 or 烘爐地. :P

      Delete
    2. I heard that 烘爐地 is a nice place for watching nightscape~!!

      Delete